I rarely make it to the movies. I only think of it maybe once or twice a year, and the idea of spending $20 for two people to see a movie that costs $1 to rent in a few months (gotta love Wegman's!) just seems a tad silly. If there is a way to get cheap tickets - I already know about matinees and AAA discounts - do let me know.
But Friend adores 007 movies, and was dying to see Quantum of Solace. I've seen a few Bond movies and enjoyed them. But Quantum of Solace was an abject disappointment. There were no gadgets - only lots of flashy gun-play which, frankly, I can see in just about any film and occasionally hear in Killadelphia. There was also a disturbing and totally unnecessary rape theme that presented in several scenes and in two characters. These rape scenes added nothing to the story line and just seemed totally gratuitous. Perhaps the writers were playing off the popularity of Law & Order: SVU?
On the plus side, I learned that there is a new Vin Diesel movie coming out in February 2009. I've had a bit of a tiny school-girl crush on Vin Diesel ever since I saw the original XXX. Granted, there were some rather cliched moments, but any movie that makes such great use of German heavy metal gets "two thumbs up" from me. (My musician brother is heavily into heavy metal and death metal. Much of the lyrics from popular death metal musicians are beyond Sick and Wrong - Cannibal Corpse, I am looking squarely in your direction - but I actually have an affinity for German and industrial metal. Rammstein albums nestle in with Rusted Root, the Rolling Stones, and Lou Reed. At least it forces me to keep up with my German. And the lyrics in non-death metal are much cleaner than most of the pop music on the radio. Philosophical, even.)
However...I also caught a preview for Valkyrie. I just can't take Tom Cruise seriously! Am I the only one? I suspect this is one film that would seriously test my abilty to sit through a film without poking one's neighbor and whispering snarky comments - decidedly inappropriate for a film based on an attempted assassination of Hitler.
***
Tip/trick/lesson of the day: This is a really good one! Have you visited restaurant.com? You can purchase a $25 gift certificate to many eateries for only $10. But wait! Before you even think of purchasing these certificates, subscribe to or visit couponmom.com. Mrs. Mom frequently has great coupon codes for restaurant.com. I've never paid more than $4 for $25, and last month I was able to purchase $25 for $2! Now, there are some restrictions on these certificates at certain restaurants. These restrictions are clearly stated so that there are no surprises. For some restaurants, you must spend $35 and purchase two entrees to use the $25 certificate. For others, you may not use a certificate on Saturday nights. Still a great deal, particularly if you are like me and keep your smoke detectors on their toes :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment