Saturday, July 18, 2009

Roommate has (possibily only temporarily) moved out. It is an extremely complex situation (with no fault or ill will from either side.) And I miss her terribly. Because she is my most bestest friend ever ever ever and I love her. While we still hang out at work (more on this), I miss having my friend at home. Sister, really. That's what she has become. Roommate's mom has been doing a lot of chatting with St. Jude lately, let me tell you. The whole thing came on suddenly, so I'm feeling like the rug was pulled out from beneath my feet. Except there are no rugs in this house. Coco thinks they are porta-a-potties.

Also, I can not live by myself. I'm a very independent person by nature who loves the idea of living alone, but in reality...I do better with another person around. I have the downstairs apartment rented to two guys (I live in a rowhome duplex), and that does help. Just knowing that there is someone around in the event of an emergency is a great thing, but I still lie awake wondering if the plumbing always sounded like that, or if someone is trying to break in. I lived by myself for one year in New York. It did not go well.

Let me just say it was a very good thing my New York apartment did not allow cats.

That said, the possibility of me finding a roommate is kinda tied up with the complex Roommate situation as she may or may not return and she may or may not leave her furniture. Not going to happen for a while. And if it does need to happen, oh man. Who in their right mind will live with 2 dogs? One yappy and not averse to peeing on the bathroom floor, and the other pushy and not averse to stealing your hat and waving it in front of you?

So that's that.

Then there is the wee matter of employment.

My firm split up. I knew this was coming, I was just hoping it would not happen right now, when there are gazillions of attorneys out of work. Breaking up a law firm is a process more gut-wrenching and emotionally-charged than any divorce. I know. I've been through it once before. (Firm split, not divorce). The process gets infinitely more complicated when contingent fees are involved. I was invited to join both sides in a new venture, and I chose my side. Very easy decision. Then, massive drama on the new side. One heart attack. One major accident - he will be ok, but it was a wake-up call that made him re-think his life direction.

So. The split-up process takes a long time and, if it goes to litigation, waaaay longer. For now, I am doing legal consulting work and interviewing for law practice positions. I don't know if it has hit the papers or anything, but now is not the best time to look for a job.

The problem is that if you look at my age and compare it to my resume, I look like a big fat liar. I worked in a law office as a student throughout law school, and by my third year I was basically doing what a lawyer would do: meeting with clients on my own, handling a case from beginning to end, stuff like that. My way old-school firm had never trained a new lawyer, and they just threw me into it. Sink or swim. No hand-holding. Minimal supervision. Very scary for me, but it meant that I have significantly more significant experience than my peers. If that makes sense. Most new lawyers spend their first few years doing research for other attorneys, and writing in piecemeal: one brief for this case, one motion for another, and not handling anything from beginning to end. Not to brag or anything, but the way that I was thrown in to some very complex cases made me into a very good litigator in a very short time. I've been in contact with a lot of recruiters, so I'm not at the point where I need to dumb down my resume. Yet.

For now, legal consulting (for Roommate's company) is pretty cool. It is definitely a standard 9-5 gig, which I haven't had since...ever. And the fact that these people pay for my advice (as opposed to "fix my problem") is just ducky. But instead of spending the sudden influx of free time doing something fun, I'm (1) anxious about getting back into law, (2) chatting up recruiters, (3) interviewing like mad, (4) crying because I miss my best friend, and (5) studying for yet another bar exam. July 29 and 30 for all your prayer warriors.

And two of my dear friends are going through an awful break-up. Please pray that God will continue to soften S.'s heart and move it back towards A, and that she will give A. a chance. I see S. softening a little! Thank you, God.

12 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I am very glad you have these dogs with you and the fellows downstairs. I hope things settle down for the best for your roommate, for you, your law firm(s) and S and A. Praying now over your post.

Ganeida said...

Messy Just ducky. OK, the odd prayer or 2 your way. [hope it all sorts out soon.]

Solo said...

Certainly, Allison, you know we are all supporting you the only way we can, but it feels so inadequate.

Now, if you wanted to relocate to Houston, I do have a connection at Jaworski and Fulbright. But I'm sure that's not in your plan.

Damn.

Know that I'm sending you positive energy, and seriously, email me for anything, (are you listening?) ANYTHING that I could possibly do to help you out.

Good luck with all of this, my Friend. Please keep in touch.

shane rocket said...

all the job/legal stuff- u will find a way.

now about two dogs, it will be easy to find i am pretty sure- since they are the greatest dogs!

and all dogs have issues, my monte will poop in the basement if it thunderstorms. there is NO WAY he is going outside when the sky is falling!!! lol.
(((hugs)))

SquirtyB said...

Sending positive energy your way.

I know what you mean about being independent but still wanting someone around. With just the right roomate it works out great...you get to do your thing but are there for each other when you need them.

There are plenty of people who love and understand dogs. Plus with those faces who can stay mad at them for long!

Take care and know we are thinking about you!

Kimmie said...

Sending a hug {{{{{Allison}}}}}

...sounds like life is very full right now.
Glad you have your two doggie roommates though. Your rug situation made me laugh out loud. I have a dog, I understand.

Left you a couple of comments on todays blog post.

xoxox

praying for you Allison.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Lynne said...

Oh my! It does seem that your life is very upside down at the moment! Here's hoping for things take a turn for the better soon!

Anonymous said...

Sending positive vibes your way. I am sure things will work out in the end. Good luck on the exam!!

Anonymous said...

Sending positive vibes your way. I am sure things will work out in the end. Good luck on the exam!!

AnneK said...

Oh dear, looks like things are rough. I prayed for you just now. Hope things will be better soon.

LilliGirl said...

Whew! What a boatload to deal with! Hang in there knowing it will all pass and then you can look back from the other side for a moment. (hugs)

And the dogs? No prob. Sure it will all work out. :)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Good night! You have a lot happening all at once! I sincerely hope everything works out well and in the least dramatic way possible.

I got a little scared when you said your roommate moved out for now. I seem to recall that the dogs are hers, so I was about to be really sad for you, thinking that you'd lost the roommate AND the dogs. At least the furbabies get to stay with you.

I'll be praying for you and all that's going on.