Monday, December 28, 2009

we're back

This guy is, hands down, the best traveler ever. He should totally be confined behind a gate in my trunk, but traumatic memories of an unfortunate incident involving his tail and the trunk door linger. No matter. He settles right into the rear seat and stares out the window. And, here, gently rests his weary traveler's head as we are at a standstill on the Mass Pike on Christmas Eve afternoon. (You didn't think I'd start snapping cell phone photos while moving, did you?)

Being such a good boy and traveling 1000 miles through six states and back in less than a week is exhausting. So is dealing with those with whom we graced with our presence visited. After inching through a snowy Connecticut and sitting for an hour on the Garden State Parkway today, we are home. A big pot of my latest addiction - bok choy, celery, and water chestnut soup - is simmering away as the washer, dryer, and dishwasher do their respective duties with their respective faint white noises. I finally, finally, finally lugged back most of my books from my parents' house this trip, and have a ton of organizing* to do tomorrow. And, well, because my books are dear and close to my heart, a similar amount of reminiscing as well.

But that can wait.

For now, I am snuggled in fleece and down, sipping tea, and looking forward to watching a little television before an early bedtime. Such a nice warm cozy end to an interesting weekend.



* Is anyone else so particular about organizing books as I am? I feel just dreadfully out of sorts if Novel With Cocaine, Frankenstein, The Stranger, and The First Man are not snuggled in together or if my dear Tess is on the same shelf as The Razor's Edge...please tell me I'm not the only one.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Glad Jack is a good travler...My gracie is as well. I am glad you arrived home safely. I have yet to try the soup but I will let you know as soon as I do. Yay for tea and books.

* said...

i organize my books according to theme.
deaf/hoh books, queer reading, romance, mystery...
i have to do it that way.
what can i say?

:-)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

LOL I like to organize books by reading difficulty, size and publisher. So maybe you're alone there. :)

Anonymous said...

He looks so cute!

* said...

welcome back and happy new years!

Martini Cartwheels said...

Glad you made it back safely. Sounds like a very nice cozy evening.

Anonymous said...

That dog is so stinking adorable! :)

I arrange my bookshelf according to theme. Studies, marriage, childrearing, herbal, fiction. Fiction is probably my favorite section, but I am not able to read it as often. Jane Eyre, Stepping Heavenward, Tess, etc.