Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Seymour the Turtle

This is Seymour the Turtle. Last weekend, I found him in my street. He was bleeding from a scrape on his head, so I reasoned someone threw him from a car. I took him inside and Googled around for a rescue that would take a turtle. Unfortunately, no shelter - not ever ones that take reptiles - could accommodate a pet turtle.


While I waited on hold for a wildlife refuge, I settled Seymour into a plastic bin and offered scraps of lettuce. Given how hard he fought to escape the bin, I began to suspect that Seymour might be a wild turtle, not a cast-off pet.

Meanwhile, Roommate was researching what kind of turtle Seymour might be. We did a check of his feet. Seymour looked like a water turtle, and a brief swim in the bathtub confirmed it. The wildlife refuge was closed for the weekend, neither of us wanted a guest in our only bathtub, and Coco was licking her chops. Seymour's breed was indigenous to the area, and I knew a local pond filled with turtles that looked just like Seymour. Hopefully he is not a Frankenturtle.

He was very happy to be free.

But, he did pause and look back at us.

Seymour's new neighbors.

How did Seymour end up on a city street? The wildlife refuge returned my call and explained that rains can cause a river to swell and deposit its wildlife in the sewers system.

***
Tip/trick/lesson of the day: Use code 2GR4N8 for a free Redbox movie rental.

No comments: