Oh, and a word on quantities: I rarely measure. I don't think exact measurements are necessary for the vast majority of dishes. And I will not give exact measurements here for two reasons. First, I almost always make very large batches and I recognize that not all of you cook with the goal of having one meal tonight and then a dozen for the freezer. Second, I am well aware that I have strong and peculiar tastes. Thus, I will simply rattle off the ingredients and assume that you will add in whatever quantity you please.
For this thick, hearty stew, you will need:
black beans, pureed
onions
garlic
hot sauce
crushed or diced tomatoes
your own preferred seasonings...I use Bragg's and black pepper.
optional: carrots, peppers, jalapenos, salt, oregano, shredded cheese, bacon, yogurt/sour cream.
If you are using dry beans, put them in the food processor when they are nice and soft. If you are using canned, please rinse well before transferring to a food processor.
Be sure to ladle in the bean water if you used dry beans. After processing, return to pot.
I made the most recent batch with a lot of chopped carrots, and prefer it to the carrotless-version. I think I used 3lbs dry beans and 3-4lbs carrots. Please pretend I took a photo of those carrots. Thank you.
Once the soup is nicely simmered, it is ready...but here are some add-ins and add-ons. It is perfectly lovely just plain (it's how I eat it), but, well, sometimes people feel deprived of something if just handed a simple bowl of bean soup. You know how you walk around all day feeling deprived of something if you had to start your morning with a cold shower because you haven't gotten around to buying a water heater yet? That kind of deprived.
Now, this is totally optional but recommended if you are making this for someone who expects meat on his plate. Bowl. Whatever. Not tempeh, not seasoned tofu, not Quorn, not even Boca "meat", but real, honest, from-an-actual-animal meat.
You know, the kind that turns a dog's eyes dark and somber and wistful. The kind that turns the floor beneath such a dog...slick.
Fry it up, then crumble into smaller chunks. I used about 3 slices per bowl for my carnivorous weekend guests and they were quite happy.
Oh, and this is an especially good soup for tomato-based leftovers like a half-empty jar of salsa. Really, you could also sneak that lone pepper or ear of corn. I haven't tried, but I imagine you could also use up hamburger meat, too. Trust me: you can hide diverse items in a thick, dark, opaque soup.
mwahaha
No comments:
Post a Comment