Tuesday, November 3, 2009

cardiologist-on-speed-dial mac & cheese

I made this for a friend last week. She will have none of that homemade whole-wheat pasta, soy cheese, and olive oil foolishness...nothing but real cream, butter, and white flour, please.

Start a pot of water and, when it is at a full, rolling, angry boil, add in 1lb pasta.
I'm using shells - I reasoned they would hold the sauce better. See how they are shaped like little cups just begging to be filled with savory goodness? And, because I'm making the sauce nice and chunky, I chose shells over penne.
Only let the pasta boil for a minute or two! It will be baked later. Drain and set aside.

Find yourself 18oz of sharp cheddar cheese.
Cut it into cubes and add to a large pot.
Do the same thing with a stick of butter. Unsalted - cheddar is salty enough!
Whoops! Wrong aperature. But great shot of my curtains.
That's better.

Cheddar, butter. Butter, cheddar.

Take a pint of evil, sinful, decadent heavy cream and...
pour over the cheese and butter. Turn the burner on very low and be sure to stir as often as you can think of it.
While that is all melting together, grab and onion and chop it however you please. I like decent-sized chunks. Not on my hips, but in just about everything else. Add the onion and a jar of salsa to the cheese mix. Salsa is optional, but it really adds a nice kick. Pour in 1 tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos. If you use salt instead of Bragg's, I strongly advise against adding anything but a tiny pinch, if any - the cheddar is salty enough.

Bragg's is amazing, versatile stuff. You can find it in the natural foods section of a well-stocked grocery store. A 32oz bottle runs $6-$8 around me, and a little goes a long way. Free samples here. No, I don't work for them or own any of their stock. Frankly, I suspect Patricia Bragg is a little kooky. But that's ok. (She is really into John 3:16, too.)

When it is all nice and melty and blendy, this is what you will have:

Oh...my.

Now, remember the drained pasta? Grab it and add to the big pot o'cheese. Mix. You could eat it as is, but you can also bake it. Usually, I spread in a thin layer over a baking sheet, but this time I used a deeper pan as I had to transport it.

Top with chopped green onions and then a handful of seasoned breadcrumbs (I use "spicy hot" breadcrumbs.)
Finally, sprinkle the top with handful of shredded cheddar.
Bake until the top is nice and bubbly.

Um, and then go hop on the treadmill for 2.4 hours for every spoonful.
Edited to add: Be sure to stir a little freshly pressed raw garlic into the mixture, too.
I'm-a-gonna-die recipe:
1 lb pasta
18 oz sharp cheddar, reserving a handful to shred and sprinkle on top
4 oz unsalted butter
1 pt heavy cream
1 large onion
8-12 oz salsa
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or 1 tablespoon soy sauce)
Seasoned breadcrumbs
Green onions/leeks/chives
Healthier version:
Whole wheat or gluten-free pasta
Cheddar (real or fake)
Replace butter with a blend of olive oil and mashed avocado
Replace cream with skim milk, soy milk, plain yogurt, or a combination of milk and yogurt
Onion
Salsa
Green onions/leeks/chives
Garlic
Bragg's
No breadcrumbs
***
Usefulness of the day: Add a little white vinegar to cut flowers to make them last longer.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Whoa looks AWESOME! :-) Yum, yum.

SquirtyB said...

OMG there is nothing like mac and cheese that will clog your arteries unpon touching your lips.

Once every now and then is ok? right?

MarkyMark said...

That looks absolutely YUMMY! Care to beam any of it up here?

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Bless you for not using that vile Velveeta! I make my mac and cheese with cheddar and cream cheese. Good stuff!

Allison said...

Emily - it's a little too good.

Squirty - that's what I tell myself.

Mark - patent pending.

Anne Marie - my mother claims that mac & cheese can only be made with Velveeta and ham.

MarkyMark said...

Allison,

Patents aren't needed; transporter coordinates are. ;) Yeah, I used to enjoy classic Star Trek...

MarkyMark

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That sounds SO good. :)

* said...

i just stumbled onto your blog from another, saw this and thought 'wow, that looks fantastic'.
i am going to make this.
thanks for posting it.

Allison said...

Jelly - welcome and enjoy. Just please do not skip the salsa!