Friday, March 19, 2010

Discontinued!

I ran into a lovely acquantance this week. She is 90-something, spry, and just radiates goodness. And she smells like roses and cinammon rolls. But she looked down and dejected that day.

"They discontinued my bra. 60 years. And they went and discontinued it."

I think every female in the room heaved great sighs of sympathy before offering their own "I loved it, so, of course, they discontinued it" story. Here is my list:

1. The Black Donnollys.
2. Arrested Development.
3. Super-Sour Fla*Vor*Ice.
4. Strawberry-flavored chunks of dried rhubarb from Trader Joe's.
5. Gap's Om perfume! Why, oh, why?
6. Abercrombie's Fierce men's cologne, which technically wasn't discontinued...but the new formulation is nothing like the original.

What's yours?

***
Usefulness of the day: Buy diapers on Saturday March 20 at Toys R Us, get a $20 gift card.

4 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I have found all kinds of things that slightly change over the years but aren't technically "discontinued." It really is deceptive to call it "improved" if it isn't. :(

MarkyMark said...

Mrs. C,

I remember how the then new restaurant in town had a cut of steak I loved. They technically discontinued it, because they had nothing by the same name a few weeks later. However, it was brought back as a slightly different cut, and called by a different name. So, it wasn't REALLY discontinued, only technically so.

MarkyMark

KGV Collector said...

oops KGV = Ganeida. Sorry.

KGV Collector said...

Yardley's non~allergenic deoderant. Nothing else has worked so well & many that are technically *non~allergenic* still give me hives!