Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Prayer request & update

Can you please pray that I find a job really, really, really soon? Unemployment is not good for my sanity!

Also, thank you for praying for baby Ben. A few days after the hospital told the parents he would be in the NICU for at least a month, he was discharged :)

4 comments:

SquirtyB said...

Very glad that baby ben went home!

Sorry about the job situation. Sending positive vibes your way. Maybe you should start charging for all of your tips and tricks...

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Of course! Hope something comes along for you soon.

MarkyMark said...

Is it possible to do something else outside of law? Even before the downturn in the economy, there was a glut of attorneys; for example, NJ has 3,000 new attorneys take the oath after every bar exam. Finding work even in the best of times was difficult; I can't imagine it now! That was one reason why I opted not to go to law school.

I found an interesting blog that tracks the upheavals occurring within the legal profession, and it doesn't appear that this will change any time soon. Shoot, you have PARTNERS getting canned, for crying out loud! If partners are getting pink slips, then I can't imagine things will be any rosier for associates. Your story is very, very common in your profession.

With the way this woman talks, the legal profession has forever changed, especially for those who entered it at the time you did (2005 or so). She calls you folks the lost generation. Those who do find work are doing so at greatly reduced salaries; the six figure starting salaries @ BigLaw are a thing of the past! 2L recruiting is way down. Job offers are being rescinded or deferred. I wouldn't want to have $100K in debt that many newbie JDs have these days...

There's one other thought: snag & marry a rich man-ha! Seriously though, you're young enough & pretty enough to pull it off. You also have the right breeding; I have a feeling that you'd be comfortable in those circles-a must to meet a rich man. It's just a thought...

Sorry about the bad news, but that's the reality of the legal profession these days. Check out that woman's blog though; I think you'll find it quite good and helpful. Doing something else may be your only option if you wish to work. Either that, or you could use this opportunity to pursue whatever dream you've nurtured, yet never fulfilled...

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Been praying, Allison, but had not worked up the courage to ask how it had been going for fear of discouraging you. There is nothing worse than hearing, "Did you find a job yet?" constantly when you're looking.