Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Someone has a birthday today.
Number...

TEN!

Whoa.
We're in double-digit territory now, baby.

I met you a little more than five years ago.

And I wasn't too fond of you.
I was a little scared of you, to be honest. You outweighed me and you had teeth.


Today, I don't even think twice about prying open your killer jaws to extricate whatever unmentionable you decided to pull out of the laundry basket and wave around.


You typically choose to do this when a male friend visits.

Moving on.

When I met you, you were a little...
...how shall I say it...
MUCH. And you still are.
But you won me over.
I'm still not sure how.
But I know why.
Yup, God knew exactly what He was doing.
(He generally does.)

While it is possible He thought I owned too many nice things that needed to be humbled with drool and teeth marks...it is far more likely He knew I needed some joy. And laughter. And to learn that life is supposed to be enjoyed. Relished. Lived.
I tell everyone that you will live to 30 just to spite me.
You better.
Happy Birthday, Jack!

7 comments:

AnneK said...

That was such a sweet post! Happy Birthday Jack!!!

Rose said...

Loved this post. Jack reminds me of a white German Shepherd I once had named Major Pain. He lived up to his name and I loved him dearly. Because I had to move and couldn't take him with me I gave him to a family who loved him as much as I did. I still miss him though.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Sweet! Happy Birthday to Jack! Give him a pet for me! :)

Angie said...

awwwww happy birthday to Jack...I love this post and the pics.. :)

Solo said...

Happy Tenth, Jack!!!!

Great post Al. Really touching.

MarkyMark said...

Where's the flour pic? I'd like to see him turning your couch white-ha!

LilliGirl said...

ugh - you brought me a tear...Hugs and many more happy birthdays to Jack (and you)