Saturday, May 15, 2010

Gotcha

Got the job. Interview on Tuesday, a surprise second on Wednesday, hammering out the offer on Thursday and Friday, acceptance on Friday night, and then "can you start on this Monday instead of next month?" this morning. Whew. I'm dizzy just thinking about how fast that all went and it doesn't seem quite real yet. Busy freshening my work wardrobe after months of disuse, getting the dog walker scheduled, pulling files from storage for my new office, etc.

Kinda crazy how this all happened. This firm had actually come after me about a year ago and I declined. Very interesting work and the guys I'll be working with the most seem to be - and I've been assured by others that they are - fun and decent and all that. Still, I'm definitely intimidated. The firm fired several people and replaced them with...me. Just me. And not, I know for certain, because there is less business. The opposite, in fact. Now, I've always cultivated a professional reputation as bushy-tailed go-getter, but doing the work of five people? Gulp.

6 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yay! Doing the work of five people means you'll be paid five times as much, right?? :)

MarkyMark said...

My present job happened the same way, but the company didn't come after me.

My previous employer, back in Feb 07, told me they didn't need me any more. I was looking for a couple of months until I saw an ad in a local periodical that carries ads from area businesses. It looked like this company did the same thing my previous one did, so I sent my resume' in via regular mail. It's been my experience that hard copy anything is taken more seriously than the same document in electronic form; that is to say that a hard copy will garner a response when an e-mailed resume won't. Anyway, I got called the day after I sent it in; I interviewed the next day, then started the day after that. I WAS going to go to FL and visit my brother, but I put those plans on hold. I'm still there over three years later, and business is good...

Ganeida said...

Congratulations, Allison! ☺ It must be so worrying to be out of work in the states when it doesn't really have a welfare back up system to tide you over. The bills don't stop accumulating while you find work; the dogs must be fed & wormed & all the rest; & you gotta eat sometimes. I am so pleased you have work again. I hope MrsC is right & you're being paid 5X as much. ☺

SquirtyB said...

Congrats and good luck!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Wonderful news! And yes, waiting on God sometimes is frustrating, but it's always worth it in the end. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! I am sure you will do fine.