Work starts tomorrow. I had lunch with a law school friend this afternoon. Lovely boy. I think he has a Romatic Interest in me. Guess that's another story.
Chicken tikka masala, hot-from-the-oven garlic naan, and some kind of eggplant/cumin/garlic dish. As I walked back to my car, I passed a homeless man and his dog half a block down from a convenience store. I picked up water, treats, and food for the dog and water, food, and sunblock for her owner. I handed these several bags and my leftovers to the owner and chatted with him for a few minutes about his dog. So few people actually engage in conversation with our homeless! They're not invisible, people! His teeny-tiny year-old pitbull named Sherry loved on me the entire time. I like to do a quick check-up on dogs when the owner is homeless. Sherry was dressed in several clean sweatshirts (it was cold and rainy today), had great teeth, and looked perfectly healthy, happy, and cute.
I like to see homeless dog owners. I'm certainly not advocating that we give a free pup with a free meal down at the shelter, but, I imagine, pet ownership keeps the owner sane. And out of trouble.
Anyway. Then some lady passed by and clucked. "So you're giving the dog food and water and nothing for him?"
"Yes, ma'am," I wanted to say. "Exactly. I'm hoping he starves to death so I can have his dog." However, having a general policy of not engaging crazies in debate, I ignored her.
Sorta like how she ignored the owner's cup of change.
***
Work starts tomorrow. I'm nervous. I'm also nervous because just after I accepted this (defense) firm's offer, several offers with plaintiff firms came in. Plaintiff is where I want to be! Trying to trust. Trying to capital-T Trust.
I think I'll go curl up and pretend that I live in a wonderful magic land where bills pay themselves, legs are self-shaving, nylons never run, calories are just numbers on paper, and every tv station runs Milo and Otis on a 24/7 loop.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sunblock! You're positively brilliant. If this job doesn't work out, you should be a professional shopper or something with ideas like that.
Good luck to you on your first day!
People can be so rude
Prayed for you this morning. Hope your first day goes well!
Post a Comment