Then, quite randomly, I was in a grocery store about 40 minutes away...and just happened to find all three ingredients right there in the laundry aisle. Sold!
Here is what you need: Washing soda, Borax, and Fels-Naptha soap. I believe Zote or Dove can be substituted for Fels-Naptha, but Fels-Naptha is specifically labeled a "laundry soap" and I've been pleased with it.
In a bowl, mix 2 cups Fels-Naptha, 1 cup Borax, and 1 cup washing soda. Mix, then process. This detergent won't leave any kind of a scent on your clothing; if you want to add in some essential oils, do it while the detergent is in the processor. I used a coconut lemongrass blend; lavender, lavender tea tree, lavender lemon, or lemon would be lovely, too.
Use 1 tablespoon for a regular load and 2 tablespoons for a heavy or heavily soiled load. This detergent is not sudsy, so don't fret if you don't see bubbles. If you want nice, soft clothes, pour a little white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. I usually air-dry everything but linens and gym socks and plain vinegar does a great job at removing the soap residue that causes stiffness. Pardon me while I cringe at all the money I've wasted on Snuggle's vanilla sandalwood fabric softener when half a cup of cheap-o white vinegar does the job!
Honestly, this is fantastic stuff. Didn't bother my sensitive skin at all. Dirt cheap if you can find the ingredients locally. I've since been told that if your local Walmart doesn't carry all three of the ingredients, pool supply stores, stores with large Hispanic customber base, and old-timey general stores are all good places to look.
Store in an closed container with spoons for measuring. If your Lab confused a pitcher with a chew toy, this is a good use for it :)
8 comments:
I'm glad you're liking the homemade stuff. I tried it, and it ruined some of my clothes. AND it didn't get them clean. But we have extremely hard water, so perhaps that had something to do with it.
I've been familiar with these ingredients since we owned a ringer washer when I was a kid, however, I did NOT know about the vinegar! Great tip!!
Also, for the whitest whites you'll ever see, use as directed some Mrs. Stewart's bluing in the wash. Also works well on white hair, whether human or pet.
Thanks, Allison!
Thanks for the awesome recipe for the home-made laundry soap. I have sensitive skin and I've been spending waay too much on the brand name stuff :P I can't wait to try it out and actually the Wal-mart here has the Borax and Arm & Hammer. Also, do you think it'll be better for the enviroment than the manufactured stuff?
Anne Marie - I did a little research and rumor has it that Kirk's Castille soap is designed for hard water. Not sure if I'd be up for a round 2 if the first try was a fail, though :)
Solo - I recently learned about white vinegar. I've been very happy with it. Will have to try the bluing!
Rachael - Be sure you use washing soda, not baking soda :) I know that this detergent is phosphate-free, but I don't know much about environmental concerns. But, given the popularity of homemade detergent among the crunchy granola crowd, I'm going to assume it is pretty "green."
I'm pretty sure the homemade stuff is 100% environmentally friendly for a number of reasons. Or at least, WAY friendlier than commercial brands.
Allison, admittedly, I'm not willing to try it again, even if there IS a soap that's supposed to work in hard water. I like my clothes too much to risk them. It's much cheaper to buy detergent on sale with coupons than to buy a new wardrobe! And with Calvin's peeing issues these days, I NEED something that is guaranteed to work. Cat urine is some seriously stinky stuff!
Anne Marie - I don't blame you. I think the problem might be with the soap - not the Borax or washing soda. If it helps with the cat urine, washing soda touts itself as boosting the power of regular detergent "up to 40%!"
Anne Marie - I have had some issues with my cat Dusty spraying on the edge of my bedding and what I've found to work pretty well for removing the odor is All (brand) laundry detergent, Clorox 2, and 2 cups of vinegar in the wash. Good luck!
hahahaha Jack, way to stay out of trouble boy!!!
Post a Comment