Sunday, January 4, 2009

Donating Bone Marrow: Part I: The Registry

As of last month, I am now officially on the bone marrow registry as a donor. Please pray that I match someone soon! After all, I am pretty sure than everyone could use a little bit of Allison :)

A few quick swabs, and that was it.

I was especially tickled by the "biohazard" tag. May I have an extra one to slap on my briefcase, please?
My cheek cells are biohazardous.
They could also safe a life.
Want to see Part II and beyond? Well, you'll just have to pray extra-hard for a match!

Will you consider donating bone marrow? It is a one-time cost of $52 for the kit. You are not obligated to donate by adding yourself to the registry. Bone marrow donation need not involve surgery; many people can donate simply by giving blood. The cells in your body could save the life of someone's parent, child, sibling, best friend. If you are pregnant, please also consider donating the cord blood!

***
Tip/trick/lesson of the day: Buy large containers of plain yogurt. Plain yogurt is much more versatile. Add your own frozen berries. Leftover plain yogurt mixes well into a thick soup. And a side bowl of plain yogurt is essential if you are eating spicy Indian food. You can even use yogurt in baking, or make a yogurt/guacamole dip.

No comments: