Saturday, January 24, 2009

Playing with food

Well, the insomnia reared its ugly head for the millionth time this month. If you can't sleep, you might as well put the wakefulness to good, productive use. I usually do. "Did you seriously expect a prompt response to your 3am email on the Smith case?" Not tonight. Nope, I decided to make a faux hamburger for Jack.

The patty gets its meaty texture and color from oatmeal and cranberries, respectively. The buns are banana dough and topped with finely ground bread crumbs for sesame seeds. I made a slice of lettuce with spinach dough. I resisted the temptation to run out for carrots to make an orange-hued slice of cheese for a proper cheeseburger. Next time.

Jack never sleeps unless I do. He happily drooled in the corner. And I do believe he knew that this was no ordinary treat as he took time to savor all the flavors.
***
Tip/trick/lesson of the day: Rinsing with apple cider vinegar is a good, inexpensive way to clarify your hair. (Clarifying will remove product build-up and increase shine.)

No comments: