Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kitchen Aventures: Frustration

I have been trying to turn out a decent loaf of French bread for two weeks. I have tried no less than eight recipes, following every single one with precision. I am no longer substituting evoo or vegan butter for shortening - I went out and purchased honest-to-goodness shortening. I knead, cover, let rise, brush with water, lather, rinse, and repeat in exact accordance. All of my non-French bread comes out perfectly shaped and crusty, if I may boast. Has anyone ever produced perfectly Frenchy French bread?

Adding insult to injury, French bread requires only the simplest ingredients: flour, warm water, yeast, butter, salt. That's it. Nothing fancy or exotic. Oh, and of course, I don't even particularly like French bread. It makes my blood sugar go crazy if I have more than a slice. Roommate, friends, and colleagues enjoy it all, as I hover over them. "Does it taste better than the last loaf? This new recipe calls for a tablespoon of sugar." Or, "I let it rise overnight. Can you tell that there is a slight difference in texture?" The same answer every time: "No difference, tastes good, pass the butter." Sigh. How can I be expected to improve when my tasters have such unrefined palates?

Have you ever let a recipe get the best of you?

No comments: