
I'm not looking to start a debate on Kwanzaa here. I know the (criminal) background of Ron Karenga and why he created the holiday. I know about the Seven Principles. I know how people celebrate the holiday. I know that it is no longer limited to African-Americans.
However, I've never met a single person who actually celebrates Kwanzaa. Do you? Given that I'm in regular contact with people of pretty much all faiths - Baha'i to Zoroastrism, literally - I would have expected to have been invited to a Kwanzaa party or two by now! In fact, I mail all my holiday cards with Kwanzaa stamps: not only are they pretty and colorful, it's easier than sorting out the Mary and Child, menora, and snowflake stamps for the Christians, Jews, and secular folks, respectively, who receive my holiday cards. Plus, from what I've read, Kwanzaa is not a faith-specific holiday. So Kwanzaa for everyone. And no peeved phone calls from the Christian who accidentally got the menora stamp: "Don't be afraid to wish me a Merry Christmas!"
Related, I was reading up on Kwanzaa in the papers and came across an interesting comment. Summarizing, the commentator noted that Christmas, Hanukkah, Diwali, and Kwanzaa all share the same "bring light to the darkness of winter" theme. The Light for Christians, oil and menoras for the Jews, candles for Hindus, and kimaras for Kwanzaa. I guess this theme only applies on one side of the equator? Interesting, nonetheless. I highly recommend crashing a Diwali festival. Beautiful. And peppery papadum slathered with that orange-colored onion relish is delicious.
***
Tip/trick/lesson of the day: Free box of organic cereal.
No comments:
Post a Comment