Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Avocados

..the avocado is a food without rival among the fruits, the veritable fruit of paradise.
David Fairchild

Avocados are an amazingly lush fruit. Good for the heart, brain, skin, and hair. Replace mashed avocado with butter for your bread. Substitute a blend of avocado, banana, and a little evoo for butter in baking. Top soups and salads with creamy chunks of avocado. Mash with lime juice (lime juices break down avocado and make it creamy) and a dash of salt for a healthy guacamole. For dry skin, you may even coat your face with a thin layer of mashed avocado. You may look like a green alien for 20 minutes, but will have smooth, soothed skin after rinsing.

***
Tip/trick/lesson of the day: Consider purchasing a large chest freezer. My fridge is a real, vintage 1920s GE model with no working freezer, and I purchased a big chest freezer for the basement. In addition to getting strong legs with all the stairs, I've also saved a lot of money by stocking up on great sales. I have not done an electric cost to food savings study, but I suspect the food savings win. It is also a wonderful time-saver: I can just pull out some frozen stew or sauce for dinner.


Picture credit.

No comments: