Monday, February 23, 2009

My very first apartment

I found these hidden in the wrong folder. Circa August 2004.

Clearly, I was in a pink-flowers-and-Waterhouse phase. The window dressings are anchored by fake flowers. I've since reformed. All bedrooms since then have been painted a soothing blue and contain only a bed, navy velvet curtains, and a lamp. Nothing else. All books, pictures, and other items go somewhere else because they do not promote restfulness.

The prints were $5 each from Building #19. (Boston-area readers: you are so, so lucky to have Building #19! I miss their circulars.)

See that table? That is a sofa table - a long, tall, thin table meant to go behind a sofa. I simply fell in love with it at Ikea and took the floor model. It got scratched three moves ago (New York to Philly, I believe), and I am currently covering it with an obnoxiously cheery Heather Bailey fabric. It was the first piece of furniture I purchased for myself. I'm sentimental about it.

My two roommates and I found a huge apartment for a very reasonable price. The living room. One roommate was an artist and made tons of pieces for the place, along with the pillows.

The artist also made these three pieces. The piece in the center has an Eve theme if you look closely. Lots of apples, pomegranates, and figs. She also did a lot of mosaic work, which meant you had to be very brave to pad around in bare feet lest a stray piece of sharp broken pottery pop up and bite.

No comments: