I had two people email me about the "sheets in the freezer" reference from a post I've since lost. Keeping sheets in the freezer or fridge is a really cheap way to fall asleep in a nice cool bed. Yes, you will have to make the bed up every night, but it sure beats tossing and turning in the heat. I can't claim this trick as my own, though. My very dear, sweet Roommate grew up in Appalachia and knows all the "hillbilly" alternatives :) Back to the sheets. You only want to chill them - let's not have any frost form. Tightly roll each sheet and pillowcase, place in a plastic bag, and put in the freezer.
With a other few tricks, you can save on home cooling costs this summer:
1. Fans are great. They use much less energy than air conditioners. I run my ceiling fans all day long to keep the cool air circulating.
2. Keep shades/curtains drawn. Sunlight is hot!
3. If your bathroom has one and doing so would not attract Peeping Toms & Tinas, shower with the window open to let out the steam. Otherwise, open the window immediately after your shower. If you belong to a gym, you can use their facilities and avoid steaming up your own. Of course, you could always shower with cold water. Having done this for several months two years ago, I don't recommend it. You will feel deprived the rest of the day, and probably cram yourself full of chocolate/sugar/salt until you realize what is missing.
4. At night, rinse off in cold water just before you get in bed. The evaporation will cool you as you fall asleep.
5. Close your closet doors. No need to air condition your closets.
6. Use heat-generating appliances like stoves and ovens as little as possible. Try to limit any such use to one day a week, and opt for a toaster over (or microwave if you have one) over the stove or oven if you can.
7. Beverages. Some people drink hot tea to cause a sweat; the body cools as the sweat evaporates. Another "hillbilly AC" from Roommate. Others spike cool water with lemon or lime. I discovered a line of designer water flavored with peppermint or fruit+mint. My friends uniformly declared it the closest thing to drinking toothpaste, which is probably why my local stores no longer stock it. Iced mint tea with lemon is the next best thing, I guess.
8. Clothing. Thin, loose cotton skirts and mesh athletic shorts are good. Skinny jeans, not so much. Board-short style boys' trunks are a favorite of mine for lounging around the house: knee-length, loose, and light.
9. Pull long hair into a high bun, off the neck. Skinny, stretchy athletic-style headbands are good for keeping those annoying wispies off the forehead.
10. Exercise in the early morning. Yes, it is also cool at night, but exercising even 6 hours before bedtime can interfere with sleep.
10. Exercise in the early morning. Yes, it is also cool at night, but exercising even 6 hours before bedtime can interfere with sleep.
Do you have any tips?
Beach in Los Cabos, 2005
4 comments:
TINAS peep, too? I guess I never thought about it...
Here's my tip: Don't live in Texas! It's too late for me, but the rest of you can save yourselves! ;-)
Mrs. C - clearly, you've never met a former neighbor of mine...Tina. If you're still being a sneaky McSneakster, Tina, that post was for you.
Anne Marie - I considered a disclaimer: "I am in the Northeast."
Hey Allison! :) There's one you forgot, making use of community swimming pools. Most public pools only charge a nominal entry fee & it's a great way to cool off & splash around.
Post a Comment