Friday, February 19, 2010

death, cheese, and other kitchen matters


Today is my brother's 23rd birthday. Given that he is rather into death and my mother mentioned he likes to go shopping for groceries, I thought these spatulas were...well, not cute, but useful. Or something. I told my mother she can use them if he won't. In my silly mind I'm thinking, "maybe he will use these spatulas, discover he likes to cook, get a job as a bus boy, then work up the ladder!" Then I realize that, since age 16, he hasn't lasted more than 2 weeks at any job, and I feel sad. And I wonder what it will take to get him out of my parents' house, but so far arson is all I can come up with.
Now, I typically don't buy passive-aggressive "self improvement" type gifts. But the only things on his list revolved around death metal and I draw the line at shirts emblazoned with disemboweled bloody fetuses. I did find some vodka in a pretty glass skull bottle, but, since I'd rather not mail liquids - particularly alcoholic ones to a 23 year old man - the spatulas (spatulae?) will have to do.

***

Does anyone know if cheese can be frozen? Big blocks of solid (not shredded or sliced) cheese?

***

Sur la Table is now carrying two special new Le Creuset colors. I'm more of a kiwi green girl myself...though I'm oddly drawn to that robin's egg blue shade as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I for one would love these for my kitchen. I am not one for cooking much and I hardly ever use spatulas but they are cool looking. They would go well with my skeleton cookie jar, salt shakers and hand towel. :-)

Allison said...

Dragon -

The spatulas have a handy conversion chart on the other side, too! Home Goods also had this silver skull with the jaw wide open to hold a sponge (you know, like those kitchsy frog sscrubbie holders.)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

You get an A for creativity and sense of humour, friend. I'm just so sorry that it has to come in handy. I understand a bit :/

shrink on the couch said...

Fe Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of enabler-dom.