Tuesday, April 27, 2010

sewing update 1

Someone chided me for not posting pictures so here they are!

The machine. It belonged to a woman's father who was a tailor. Included with the machine was a box packed with very old sewing stuff. Buckets of vintage threads on what looked like hand-carved spools, bags of sharp tools and brushes, some kind of a ruler and clamp contraption that I'm guessing is as to a shirt as a vise is to a carpentry project, vintage cigar boxes of buttons, more than 100 zippers, and more stuff I don't even know how to describe. All of it promptly freecycled. As I combed through this cool vintage stuff, all perfectly labeled in the handwriting of someone who actually learned penmanship, I imagined the father would have been good friends with my cobbler, who is 95 years old, blind as a bat, perpetually high as a kite from all the polish fumes...and who does an impeccable job on my shoes for a good price.

And the fabric that started it all. "That is going to be an obnoxious bedspread," my mother said. "Perfect! I replied. "Matches your daughter's personality!" I used to be painfully shy. Then I learned to overcompensate. Then overcompensation became natural. Then I needed a matching bedspread.

About a year ago I discovered Heather Bailey fabrics, swooned, and dashed over to etsy for anything in her prints. The photo of these pre-cut squares caught my eye and didn't let go until check-out. I suffer from twin problems: poor impulse control and the mistaken belief that I am crafty. Which is why I am not allowed in Michael's anymore. I am chock-full of grand sweeping ideals, but the follow-though and actual requisite skills don't exist.

I laid out the squares last summer to hand-sew. Then, after threading a needle, I got distracted by some shiny object bored. And that was the end of that. Until a sewing machine landed in my car trunk.

I love it when things land in my life.


Exhibit A.

Exhibit B.

I posted on freecycle yesterday, offering a homemade meal or resume editing for a sewing lesson. Reason 436 why I heart freecycle: a dozen ladies offered to come over, give some demos, and have me start the quilt as they watch and correct.

If you have Johnson & Johnson stock, buy. Band-Aid sales are going to dramatically increase.

***
Usefulness of the day: Can't find (or broke) your camera cord? Pop out the memory card: there is usually a drive on your computer that will take it. To get the pictures, go Start>Computer>Devices with removable storage. The card should be listed there.

4 comments:

AnneK said...

How well I could identify with this post! I am also delusional when it comes to my crafting abilities. I actually sometimes delude myself into thinking I can do crafty stuff even when I KNOW I can't. And my ideas are nothing simple either.

Anyways.

I must be living under a rock or something, but I had no idea about these trading services. I think it is Brilliant. I can teach up to Engineering Math if someone can teach me to sew. But I guess no one really wants to learn math. :(

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

That's really neat about your little freecycle exchange! I never would have thought to do that. Very smart.

One recommendation I have for you: Take your sewing machine into a shop (most craft shops with fabric and sewing machines will offer this) to have it cleaned and all bits tightened and oiled and whatever the heck they have to do to the inner workings of a sewing machine. Because it's older and used, it likely needs a little loving care before you put it to serious use (like making a quilt). Believe me, you'll be far less frustrated while learning if your machine's tension is properly adjusted/working for you, as well as any other little things that could go amiss. Having to fiddle with all that stuff in order to attempt to sew is very frustrating. Speaking from personal experience here...

Allison said...

Freecycle is just for giving away/taking free items, but some freecycle groups also have a general community messageboard for advice and things like that. I've met some lovely people since I joined a few months ago!

Thanks for the oiling tip!

kim said...

totally coveting your squares..they are AWESOME!! and loving freecycle too, it's a wonderful way to meet like minded people that sometimes have incredible stuff to give away :)